. Nineveh Makeup Ministries: Celebrity Makeup Artist Keisha Willis Gives Back!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Celebrity Makeup Artist Keisha Willis Gives Back!


Model turned Makeup Artist
Keisha Willis
Nineveh: How and when did you get started in makeup?

Keisha: I came into this field backwards. I started as a model and was trained by my agency.  At fashion shows other models would ask me to do their makeup too.  So I’ve been doing it a pretty long time.  But just doing makeup – no modeling for about 6 years.

Nineveh: Which makeup artists inspire(d) you?

Keisha:
Wow they’re so many great artist out here.  I think my first MUA I feel in love with was Kevin Aucoin. I still have his book Making Faces. Others that inspired me are Sam Fine, Billy B, KJB and several artist on Model Mayhem – too many to name. I love go getters, plus these guys do absolutely beautiful work. I really, really love Mally Roncal. I just smile when I say her name. Not only is she extremely talented but she has a wonderfully infectious personality so bubbly and she’s dresses so cute. I really don’t like the all black clothing thing all the time. I want to add some life into this world just like Mally!

Nineveh: And you certainly do, Keisha!   Tell us about your journey to becoming a full-time freelance makeup artist. What steps did you have to take to become completely self-sufficient as a makeup artist?

Pro MUA Keisha Willis on set
Keisha: Oh my goodness -- it was a journey. I wanted to quit several times.  In this business I learned early that confidence is KEY, and I allowed my confidence to be shaken so many times in the beginning stages. I have had times of feeling like I wasn’t a “real” makeup artist because I didn’t do this full time, but now I see AMAZING artists like Ren-Ren who lets you know that this judgment isn’t true.  In short, I tried to assist a lot of artist – didn’t make too much progress doing that until last year.  I think it’s important to work with other artist because you learn so much from them and pick up so many great tricks.  I did tons of research on You Tube looking at artist like Encore and Ren Ren and others, enhancing my technique. And, of course, hanging on to every word of the “Greats” mentioned above.  Then I was fortunate enough to do a few celebrities and my business just blossomed. I was taking off so much time from my full time job I had to quit.

Nineveh: What a great recap of your journey Keisha. Being that you were able to succeed, what advice would you give to aspiring makeup artists who are considering this career path?

A page from
Keisha Willis' Portfolio
Keisha:To start, really get to know the business. They should know the” Greats” all the way back to Max Factor (he was really a person). :-)  They should know how to do makeup of different periods 20s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s… Each decade was unique. A director or photographer doesn’t have time to teach you – they’ll give you some direction, and you have to know how to run with it. Do a lot of research so you can become experienced, take classes to learn the business and enhance your skills, network and develop a plan, know what field you want to be in – do you like FX makeup or do like the fashion industry or brides? And, have a great personality. Don’t be fake -  people can tell. Be pleasant to be around. Know the rates of other artists and don’t undercut, because you hurt the whole industry when you do. Getting Crystal Wrigt’s book and taking her classes is key in my opinion.

Nineveh: Thank you for that, Keisha.   You have an impressive portfolio. What have been some of your favorite gigs? 

Keisha: Thank you so much. I’m always honored when someone says that. Seriously -- I’m very flattered when someone appreciates my work. I have worked with so many creative photogs.  One photog and stylist actually made outfits out of bubble wrap! That was a fun shoot.  I love working with creative people because the synergy in the room is unreal.  We feed off of each other and come up with great ideas. Another really fun shoot is when I did a Barbie inspired shoot- every girl wants to be Barbie.

Nineveh: Barbie or a celebrity! :-)    Have you ever worked on a celebrity?

A page from Keisha Willis' Portfolio
Keisha:  Yes I have a few that I would like to work with. My list is long. Every celeb I have worked with has been so sweet.  I’ve worked with Judge Hatchet a few times.  She is AMAZING, she makes you feel so at home and welcomed into her space. I’ve also worked with Isis and Sandra – both models on ANTM. That was a surreal experience.  I’ve worked with Paul Warton of Bravo, Chip Wade on HGTV,  but that’s enough name dropping. :-)  But who I’d love work with is Michelle Obama – she’s such a fashion icon. I’d love to do Kim Kardasshian or any Kardashini for that matter, Vanessa Williams, Rihanna and Gwen Stefani -- and lets top it all off with an H&M ad Campaign. I’m actually drooling now. Told you I had a long list.

Nineveh: You are too funny! Ok, off of that topic and on to your favorite items.   What are some of your “must have” products for your own personal kit and for your professional set kit?

Keisha: My Graftobian pallet, my SmashBox highlighter (I’m sorry I don’t know the specific name I bought it at a makeup show it’s in a circle container and the stuff is AWESOME), my Urban Decay eye shadow pallets and q-tips!!

Nineveh: Great choices! And, last but not least, Nineveh highlights artists who give back.  What do you do to make the world a beautiful place?

Keisha: I think it’s so important to be a genuinely good person and I really try to do this often. I volunteer a lot at my church and I’m working with Dress For Success to do a seminar with their clients, because I feel like if you look good on the outside you’ll feel good on the inside.  I constantly look for ways that I can help others. I believe in paying it forward.  I also only charge my grads and prom students a fraction of my normal prices and do tons of free work for fashion shows that are charitable events.

Nineveh: I love it!  Anything else that the world should know about you?

Keisha: Well as I said in the beginning I started in this world as a model and modeling is my first love.  I give new models pep talks when they are in my chair and often make friend with them because of it.  I’m also pursuing my MBA and Master’s in Management. Education is very important.  You must know how to build your brand and your business.  I’m a wife and mom of two beautiful girls! Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Beautiful Message Here: