. Nineveh Makeup Ministries: Celebrity Makeup Artist and YouTube Star Kandee Johnson Gives Back!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Celebrity Makeup Artist and YouTube Star Kandee Johnson Gives Back!


Celebrity Makeup Artist Kandee Johnson
I remember stumbling upon my first Kandee Johnson makeup tutorial video in the spring of 2009. I have been watching ever since.

WARNING: This woman's joy, kindness, and happy nature are highly contagious and addictive!

When Kandee decided to take her knowledge, experience, and growing YouTube fan base and put it all together to create her “Glaminars” (Glamour Seminars), I excitedly purchased tickets to two of her classes and spent some time with her in Los Angeles.  Since then, we have remained in contact, and she has become somewhat of a friend and a major inspiration – but I am not an isolated case.

Kandee inspires so many women and men – about a half a million, in fact – through her motivational and encouraging videos and blog posts.  It wasn't long before the world would come to know this YouTube star as someone who is about “more than makeup,” a motto she has used in several of her postings.

Visit Kandee’s YouTube channel, and you’ll find an array of videos ranging from basic Makeup Application 101 vids all the way to special effects/transformational character makeup tutorials.

You will also find vlogs (video diaries) of her personal and professional experiences. She gets more into this aspect of her life on her other YouTube channel, The Kandee Johnson Show, and her personal blog, Kandeeland.com.

I am very excited that Kandee had some time, having just delivered her fourth and beautiful newborn baby just weeks ago, to do an interview with Nineveh Makeup Ministries.

I began with her most asked question…

Nineveh: Kandee, for those who do not know, how did you get started in makeup? 

Kandee: I had been doing make-overs and make-up for girls at prom time and other little events, then I went to hair show in Los Angeles and went up and asked an award winning makeup artist, who was working at a make-up brush booth, about getting into makeup and he said, "Do you want to work on a movie with me?"

After I could breathe again, I said "YESSSS!" and was on the set of my first movie within a couple weeks. I was so excited that when I left the hair show, I got into a car accident (not at fault, ha ha!), and it didn't even upset me too much, because I was still so excited about working on a movie!

After that I worked with some amazing companies, on TV shows, commercials, films and national ad campaigns for amazing companies such as MGM, CNN, VH1, MTV, NBC, and ABC.

To see your work on HBO or on a billboard or in magazines is just amazing! When I was featured in ELLE and NYLON magazines, I just stood at the newsstand in amazement and wanted to tell everyone around me, "Oh my golly! Look! I'm in this magazine!! Can you believe it?!"

Nineveh: It is so amazing to hear how you got started and all of the amazing opportunities that followed, Kandee. As you were up and coming, who were the teachers who inspired you most?

Kandee: Well, when I was younger and much skinnier, I modeled in Asia, and I loved watching the makeup artist working on me and the other girls for big magazines, like Marie Claire and ELLE Hong Kong. During this process, I would learn things then go home and put my makeup on all crazy in my room.

Myke Michaels, who's done makeup for everyone from Britney Spears to Janet Jackson taught me so many things that I would've never learned other than by apprenticing with him. I used to read Kevyn Aucoin's book almost every day, too!

Nineveh:
    What other career paths did you consider aside from makeup artistry, and, as a child what did you dream of becoming when you grew up?

Kandee: Oh, I wanted to be everything from a fashion designer to an actress! I dreamed of being both of those things. I wanted to create incredible movies, write them, direct them, star in them...and I would design clothes for hours!

Nineveh: I love how you’ve integrated all of those aspects of your childhood dreams into your YouTube Channel. You share original fashions that you create, you do some dramatic acting in your theatrical/Halloween looks, and you create, write, direct, and star in all of your videos. Way to go on accomplishing all of that!  But, the main reason you started your channel was your love of makeup and wanting to share it with others.   What is your personal philosophy around makeup?

Kandee: It is something that can bring out the confidence and beauty in a woman, which is just hiding in her heart. Its fun - just like art or getting dresses...you can be as creative or as modest as you want.

Nineveh:
    Who have been some of your favorite clients?

Kandee volunteering her makeup artistry skills
Kandee: My favorite clients usually aren't the big celebrities. They are the precious people, like the women from the homeless shelter that I did make-up on that were sooooo excited to see themselves so beautiful…or brides or bridesmaids who cry when they see themselves for the first time. They look in the mirror and say, "For the first time, I think I'm beautiful," and all I did was bring out what was already there!

But of the celebs...Conan O'Brien was my all-time favorite. He made me laugh all day long. He genuinely asked [questions about] me, and we had great conversations about soul mates. He shared with me the love story of how he met his wife.

Most celebrities don't really ask questions, and sometimes just tend to talk about themselves...which is okay, but it's great when you meet a really nice and "real" celebrity.

Nineveh:
    Conan sounds like a sweetheart! What a nice opportunity that was for you to work with him. Which other celebrities have you had the most fun working on and with?
Kandee with client, Conan O'Brien

Kandee: Any of the comedians are always the best. They just crack you up all day long! So whether it's a press junket with a movie full of comedians or when I did the celebrity interviews for VH1 and MTV, it was just hilarious all day with all the comedians!

Nineveh: Kandee, please share with us what you do to give back and make the world a beautiful place.

Kandee: Oh, I usually do a lot of things that I don't talk about. I really enjoyed working with the women from the homeless shelter in Los Angeles, making them feel beautiful. I really enjoy helping other women who are single moms, or have suffered a loss of some kind, or have been abused like women who have been raped or faced such heartbreaking things.

I love that I have been able to share things that I love, from women who are struggling to start their own businesses. That I can help jump start their business by sharing their dream business on my blog means so much to my heart.

I love helping people, whether it's starving orphans or children who need backpacks for school. My heart will always be devoted to helping people. It means so much to leave a legacy of love and helping touch others' lives. You are forever adding love to someone's life, and you have no idea what that love might help them accomplish!

Nineveh:  Indeed. I will always hold in my heart your kindness and our personal conversation that inspired me to create Nineveh Makeup Ministries. Thank you Kandee. And, back to makeup…What are some products you just can’t go with out – both for your own personal use and also in your professional kit?

Kandee:

For my personal makeup:

Smolder (black eyeliner) from MAC...and any concealer!
I've been in love with L'oreal Double Extend Mascara for a while...and maybe any nude-rose colored lipstick!

For my professional kit:

I love my RCMA concealer palette because you get every color you need for every skin tone, and you can use it as foundation.

I also love my Z palettes, because I can see all my eye shadow and blush colors really easily [through the clear top].

Oh and my ZUCA bag that I keep all my makeup in. It has revolutionized how I travel with my make-up! 

Gosh I could have a huge list, you could be reading a novel if I don't stop here! ha ha ha

Nineveh: Well then as we wrap up, is there anything else the world should know about you?

Kandee: I love coffee ice cream, and I don't like frogs!

Kandee Johnson's tweet about this article. :)








8 comments:

  1. She is by far the most amazing person and an inspiration to so many people, she has changed so many peoples lives... I dream that oneday i am lucky enough to meet her over in America.. Coming from Australia it would be a hike but it would be a dream come true!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved Kandee ever since I met up with her on the Hot Moms web site. (that was forever ago)..she is beautiful inside & out with the most Amazing heart!!! Although we have never met I consider her a dear friend. She has impacted my life in so many ways. Thank you for Nineveh for this great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kandee lifts my spirit when I feel like I don't have it in me to keep going I go and get my Kandee fix.
    Almost like a drug lol And somehow. I feel like I CAN DO THIS!!*great Article!!! LOVE YA KANDEE <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kandee is such an inspiration to me! She's the reason i took make-up classes which makes me a beginner make-up artist at the moment!
    Love her bubbly and sincere personality!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a very interesting read! I love Kandee so much and have been following her for a while. She is such an inspiration to me and the way I live my life. Whenever I'm in a situation where someone is being a jerk or just plain ugly I always think, WWKD? (What Would Kandee Do) She always has the brightest cheery attitude and can easily make anyone's day better with just a smile and wave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi what lipstick are you wearing on the picture and also where do you get your feather earrings??? love them.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Beautiful Message Here: