. Nineveh Makeup Ministries: Pro Makeup Artist Crystal Strayer Gives Back!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pro Makeup Artist Crystal Strayer Gives Back!

Pro MUA Crystal Strayer with Kandee Johnson

Please note that Crystal has notified me as of February 2013 that she is heading on a different path and is no longer practicing as a makeup artist. We know that no matter what road she pursues,she will bring light, love, and goodness to everyone she encounters.


If you ever get to meet professional Makeup Artist Crystal Strayer in person, you’ll probably be positively overcome with the beauty she possesses, both in her appearance and in demeanor.  Crystal is one of those rare individuals who lives her truth;  her genuineness shines through, and you can’t help but enjoy spending time with her and learning about what inspires her.

Her artistic family and her experience caring for animals as a child helped to shape the beautiful being she is today and her choice to pursue makeup artistry as a profession.  Her writing skills as a beauty blogger are stellar, and her artistry is professional, polished, and creative.
Inspired by her drive and creativity, I asked her why she decided to go into the makeup artistry.

Crystal: Growing up, I was so blessed to be raised by very passionate individuals. My grandmother was a cosmetologist; my grandfather an abstract painter, musician, and chef, my father a skilled airbrush artist, my brother a phenomenal sketch artist, and my mother a writer. For as long as I can remember, creating and experimenting with color, shape, texture, etc. was what I loved to do.
When I discovered make-up, it became another medium for me to express myself. I began doing makeovers on family and friends, and as I went along, I discovered something even more beautiful; the transformation that make-up can help create. When you can help bring out someone’s inner beauty for them to see and own, it’s exhilarating, rewarding, and the heart of true beauty.

Nineveh: Who have been some of your best and inspirational teachers?

Crystal: Though, I feel that I have learned from so many individuals as all have contributed to my development as an artist in some fashion, there are two very special individuals who have unconditionally inspired and encouraged me along the way. Elessa Va Von introduced me to the world of beauty blogging, motivating me to learn more about the beauty industry, and create my very own beauty blog. Kandee Johnson has aided me in countless ways, one of which includes helping me bloom into the make-up artist I am today.

Nineveh: What is your philosophy about women wearing makeup?

Crystal: With or without any make-up, skincare is essential and will always be eternal. When make-up is utilized to enhance what is already unique to the individual, it allows the beauty within to shine through, timelessly. My advice to women: “Wear confidence as if it were your perfect shade of red lipstick.”

Nineveh: What are some of your favorite makeup products for your personal use and for your kit?

Crystal: I’m always trying new products; there are so many wonderful brands on the market today that have their own gems. Some of my favorite brands include: MakeUpForEver, Laura Mercier, Yaby, Urban Decay, MAC, Stila, Revlon, Almay. Quality is key.

Nineveh: What is your advice for those considering getting in to the makeup business?


Pro MUA Crystal Strayer in action
Crystal: There are many forms and avenues to make-up artistry; research, play, experiment, and decide which medium harmonizes best with your passion and skill. Everyday be proactive; do something that will advance your career or fine-tune your craft as an artist. Believe in yourself, be inspired, learn from your fellow artists’ and mentors’ and most importantly, create.

Nineveh: Here’s a personal question…Why are you a vegetarian?

Vegetarianism was something I knew I wanted to aspire to, even as a child, for moral, health, and spiritual reasons. I decided to fully commit to a vegetarian lifestyle in support of my husband’s journey to health and in doing so, I became vegan. Being vegan has been one of the most rewarding decisions of my life; my acne completely cleared up, I have energy, I feel amazing, I eat what I want and never feel an ounce of guilt; and best of all, I get to share a healthy life with my husband, who is truly a miracle. Through his journey, not only has he lost 140 lbs. (and counting), but more importantly, he is beautifully cancer free.

Nineveh: Wow. Those are very compelling reasons, indeed! This leads me to my next question (which you’ve already partially answered): Why do you use only cruelty-free products?

Crystal: As a child, I grew up caring for a lot of different animals, most of which were abandoned and abused: chickens, goats, fish, rabbits, doggies, etc. so I’ve come to understand animals and see that they really are not that different from us; they just want to be loved. When I became aware of animal testing, it broke my heart and ever since I’ve made a conscious decision to only support companies who practice compassion. Compassion is beauty.

Nineveh: What other career paths did you consider?

Crystal: To be in service to others is what I enjoy. If I were not a make-up artist, creating and working on beautiful souls, I would definitely do the equivalent by becoming a Naturopathic Physician, helping others to heal organically.

Nineveh: Well, you have certainly managed to find opportunities to serve others outside of your makeup practice. Tell us about the volunteer work you’ve done to make the world a beautiful place:

Crystal: My volunteer work includes serving at…
-Target Distribution Center (December 2001-2005)
Santa Shop cashier/assistant/photographer for the Children's Annual Christmas Party

-Kaiser Permanente Hospital (March 2002-2006)
Recreational leader for patients residing in pediatrics ward.

-Fontana Mummer's Community Theater (2002)
Starred as Cinderella in 'The Mad Hatter's Ball' play.

-Rose Bowl (December 2001-2005)
Assisted in the preparation of the Rose Parade as well as garnished various floats.

Nineveh: What else should the world know about you?

Crystal: My absolute goal is to bring out each person’s unique inner beauty and stellar confidence!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is amazing. I have learned so much about Crystal. I have met her in person and your description is dead on. She is a wonderful person and I am blessed to know her. Awesome blog post Debbie!

    xoxo-JennyB MUA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice comment about Crystal and about this article, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Beautiful Message Here: