. Nineveh Makeup Ministries: Vintage Makeup Artist and Stylist Ashley aka LisaFreemontStreet Gives Back!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Vintage Makeup Artist and Stylist Ashley aka LisaFreemontStreet Gives Back!

Ashley (LisaFreemontStreet) & Client

Nineveh: Ashley, how did your passion for makeup and hair styling start?

Ashley (LisaFreemontStreet): I have always had a passion for beauty products, makeup, and hairstyling. I used to read and re-read this 'beauty workbook' I had in my pre-teens until it had nearly fallen apart! But I learned a lot in the book and all the magazine articles and beauty books I've read since. There are photos of myself in those years that are cringe-worthy, but I like to think that all the 'trial and error' lead me to truly discover my own makeup style.

Nineveh: And, it seems like you really found yourself in retro, classic styles. Tell us more about that.

Ashley: I have always had a deep love for classic films, and the styles of hair and makeup in the 40's and 50's really called to me. Grace Kelly and Ginger Rogers were my favorites. They each spoke the language of their generation in such a significant and iconic way. I finally decided, about 6 years ago, to re-create those hair and makeup styles in earnest. I also decided that I would never again be afraid to wear those styles in public, even if doing so drew extra attention. Thankfully, my commitment to vintage styling has drawn far more positivity than I expected. Embracing my femininity has also made me feel more connected to the prior generations of women in my family.

I consider myself to be a vintage enthusiast always, even on the days when necessity calls for a pair of jeans or a tank top. So for those quick trips to the market, I at least try to always apply my winged liner or wear a pretty hair accessory-something to make me feel girly. It’s no secret that I'd rather be in a dress any day of the week!

Nineveh: Yes, with the success of your YouTube Channel and Blog, it is quite evident that there are plenty of other women who like what you do! When you speak about femininity, in terms of Retro iconic women, I think of Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe – two of my favorites. Who are some of yours?

Ashley: Ginger Rogers and Grace Kelly are my favorites, for sure. But I really enjoyed re-creating the over-the-top onscreen looks of Garbo and Harlow, as well as the 60's 'kitten' looks inspired by Sophia and Brigitte. Audrey Hepburn is someone whose look I have yet to visit on my channel. I think it's because I admired her so much, as a person, that I find it a bit intimidating to attempt her style. I guess I just gotta get over myself, huh? *chuckle*

Nineveh: You would do an amazing job recreating her looks. I say, Go for it! As far as retro films which are your favorites?

Ashley: My all time favorite film is 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. Atticus Finch is my hero. But the beauty fiend in me will always love the 1939 classic, 'The Women'. It's just a perfect film in so many ways but especially in the way that it celebrates females! No other movie comes close. Let's go watch it, Debbie!

Ashley (LisaFreemontStreet)
Nineveh: I would love that. Just tell me when and where. :-) In the meantime, let’s talk music. You haven’t been afraid to use music to set the mood in your videos. Tell me about your favorite retro tunes.

Ashley: I love the music of the Golden Age, in general. There are probably too many to mention. But one that instantly comes to mind is 'It Might as Well Be Spring' by Doris Day. Not sure why. Just the mood I'm in, I guess.

My taste in music really runs the gamut, as can be determined by the songs I choose for my videos. Of the artists 'before my time' (wretched expression!), the ones I most admire vary with my mood. Right now, I can't get enough Les Paul and Mary Ford! I want to sound JUST like her.

Nineveh: But you want to look like a redhead, right?

Ashley: I want my hair to STAY red, so I use a permanent color every six weeks or so. My favorite is L’Oreal Preference in Medium or Dark Auburn. I like to kick up the red between colorings with a semi-permanent dye like Manic Panic. The shade “Flaming” is just enough red to give your color that shocking boost it needs when it starts to fade. I leave the semi-permanent color on for just about 15 minutes or so, keeping the results less artificial.

Nineveh: That’s quite the routine, Ashley. And for your classic, retro red lips – what is your routine?
Ashley: Red lipstick is such a personal thing (*wink*). But if I have to name one that is perfect for me, I'd have to say 'Red Velvet' from Besame' Cosmetics. 2nd place would probably go to 'Femme Noir' by Julie Hewett. Right now, I'm really into orange lips, though...orange is the new red, you know.

Nineveh: So we’ve heard. And in addition to your vintage makeup and styling interests, what else do you do (for a living)?

Ashley: I am a home based skip tracer for a collection agency. But I'd absolutely LOVE to make my hobby a full time job. My goal is to someday own a vintage bridal and photography business. I'd also love to style local musicians and performers, if they'd let me.

Nineveh: I’m sure they would Ashley. You are very talented! Tell us what you would or currently do carry in your kit.

Ashley: Things I purchase repeatedly for my own use: Cetaphil Moisture Cream, Layrite Pomade, and a white concealer stick.

For clients, it’s my Ben Nye Cake Liner, a concealer palette, and a NYX Jumbo Pencil in 'Milk'. I also love my lip color palette of 66 shades that can be mixed and matched to suit different skin tones.

Nineveh: And when you are not working on clients but making videos for YouTube, what motivates you?

Ashley: I love making my little videos every week. It's something I do for love, not for money, and I've received so many encouraging little messages from my viewers, telling me that something I taught them made them feel better about themselves. I also take part in worldwide bible education work whenever I get the chance. Giving back spiritually is far more gratifying than giving physically, I've found.

Nineveh: And finally, is there anything else that the world should know about you, Ashley?

Ashley: In this world of slovenly comfort, I have always loved and admired those ladies that put some effort into beautifying themselves, thereby making others take notice. There is no shame in wearing pearls to do your shopping or in setting your hair before bed...it's a right all females should be able to embrace! I hope that it will eventually become the 'norm' again, for a woman to take pride in her femininity by dressing up at home (much less the grocery store), for a man to wear a blazer to the movies, and for a child to cut his hair. If only....

Retro Makeup Artist & Stylist Ashley (aka LisaFreemontStreet)
Visit Ashley’s Blog/Website: http://www.lisafreemontstreet.com/
Her YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/lisafreemontstreet
Her Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Lisa-Freemont-Street/155249469150

Thank you SO much Ashley for your Beautiful Shout Out about this interview and Nineveh Makeup Ministries!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Beautiful Message Here: