. Nineveh Makeup Ministries: Professional MakeUp Artist & YouTube Guru Camille Megan Gives Back!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Professional MakeUp Artist & YouTube Guru Camille Megan Gives Back!


Pro Makeup Artist Camille Megan with client
When I stumbled upon Camille Megan (aka TalkinMakeup) on YouTube, I immediately felt as if I had hit the makeup fix jackpot. The heading of her video: “How I Became a MAC Artist,” intrigued me. I love her personality, style, and the ease with which she communicates and teaches. I became a subscriber on the spot and have been watching her videos ever since.  Camille is a trained, professional Freelance Makeup Artist who has worked for many of the major cosmetics lines. She’s humble, down to earth, funny, and her adorable Jersey-esque accent will have you mesmerized video after video.

I had the wonderful opportunity to interview Camille about her journey as a makeup artist.

Nineveh: Camille, what caused you to decide to go into makeup artistry?

Camille:  I have always loved makeup since I was very little. My Mom used to hand my sister and I makeup and curling irons to play with on a boring Friday or Saturday night. I remember always wanting my Mom to find out how people on TV did their makeup. The first actress's makeup I tried to replicate was Donna Mills from Knots Landing.  She wore the most beautiful Blue Eyeliner! I was only about 5 years old. My teenage makeup inspirations came from TV shows & Seventeen Magazine. They used to post looks from time to time, and I would cut them out and tape them to my mirror until I nailed the look. I always liked to do everybody's makeup.

I owe all the credit to a woman named Christina (a restaurant owner). She was a girl I used to clean and babysit for. I looked up to her. She was only about 10 years older than me, so I could relate to her. Plus, [in my eyes] she was cool. One morning, she called and asked me to stop by and meet her friend about babysitting. When I got there, they started telling me that I should be behind a makeup counter- that I really seemed to be good at doing makeup.

They were telling me to go to Macy's and apply, and suggested that while working there I should take a makeup class. I didn't know why they did this for the longest time. Then, Christina and I were at the Estee Lauder counter one day, and she told me that she always thought I did a nice job on my makeup. She then revealed that when I was doing someone's makeup in a house while a bunch of people were there, one of them was a Makeup Artist. She knew Christina, and this woman said really nice things about me, prompting Chris to talk to me!

Nineveh: That’s a really neat story. I also like your memory of when you were a little girl, recreating makeup looks. You’ve obviously been a makeup artist at heart since a very early age.  When you got a bit older, where did you obtain formal training?

Camille: I have received trained from Estee Lauder, Clinque, and MAC. I also took advantage of any extra classes these companies offered. I also attended a class at a local vocational school for Makeup Application.

Of all the classes I took and information I studied, nothing trained me like working on the public. I always say that working at Estee Lauder was my Cosmetics University; I majored in Skincare, Foundation Matching, and Applying Makeup. At MAC, it was about expressing your artistic side. I perfected my techniques while there. I was able to do things there I would never get to do in a makeup class!
I am very fortunate to have had the experience to work at these counters. I am from the Philadelphia Metropolitan area. It is a multi-cultural area, so I have done makeup on women of every race. I also specialize in makeup for the elderly from my experiences at the Estee Lauder Counter.

Doing random makeup all day and matching foundation over and over has made me the Artist I am today. I had so much fun working at the counters that I never felt like I was at working. There are downsides to working at these counters, and I have seen them first hand, but the benefits outweigh the bad stuff!

Nineveh: I like that: Cosmetics University. And, great major choices, by the way!  So, how is it that you are able to balance working as a makeup artist with being a wonderful Mom?

TalkinMakeup on YouTube
Camille:  In addition to being a professional Freelance Makeup Artist (for about the past three years) and a Mom, and I have also been doing YouTube (under the handle “TalkinMakeup”) for about 2 years now.  I try to make appointments when my husband is home, and if I have a Saturday morning bride client, I can take my daughter with me sometimes. Working for myself has been a joy. It was extremely difficult to juggle working at MAC and being a Mom. I had full support at home. I chose to step down from my job at MAC to pursue freelance work, and to be able to be with my daughter.

Nineveh: You will probably inspire a lot of mothers who aspire to be makeup artists. Speaking of inspiration, who have been some of your best and inspirational teachers?

Camille:  My BEST teacher was a woman named Cathy, who I worked with at Estee Lauder. She had been there since she was 16 years and had 20 years of experience in makeup. She was kind enough to share it all with me. She helped me, in the moment, guiding me through various situations. Cathy was like a sister to me.

The most inspirational teacher I have ever had was my trainer, Joy, at MAC. She was amazing! She was a much respected artist and teacher. She was kind but gave few compliments. While I was in Basic, (training) at MAC, she would always tell me I was doing a good job or that I went above and beyond. She would call out my work for being good.

TalkinMakeup's Blog
It gave me so much inspiration to take chances. Having her approval meant the world to me. At the end of Basic, Joy grabbed my hand and told me that “When you speak, the most beautiful things come out of your mouth. You are really special." I was speechless for once in my life.  I just hugged her, because I was filling up with tears!

Nineveh: Given all of your experience, what is your personal philosophy about women wearing makeup?

Camille: Makeup gives women a feeling. I don't know what to call this feeling, but it’s a combination of Beauty, Confidence, and Inspiration all rolled into one. Makeup is a common ground for women, whether someone wears a little or a lot. I have seen makeup pull people out of depression; even if just for a moment, they feel better! We all smile and get excited!

Nineveh: What are some of your favorite makeup products for your personal use and for your kit?

Camille: My favorite makeup for personal use comes from everywhere.

I love:
MAC's Fluidline eyeliner in Blacktrack ,MAC Studiofix Powder, MAC Lash Primer, Graftobian Glamour Creme HD Foundation.

I have to have a few things with me when I am working:

MAC Wipes
Ardell Lashes
Duo Lash Adhesive
MAC Paintpots
Graftobian Glamour Creme HD Foundation

Nineveh: What is your advice for those considering getting in to the makeup business?

Camille: Learn as much as you can never stop learning. Read and study makeup applications, and learn through doing. Don't ever let anybody make you feel like you don't belong somewhere!

Nineveh: What other career paths did you consider?

Camille: I had a million jobs but I was going to go back to school and become a teacher. I Love kids!

Nineveh: Tell us about your volunteer work.

Camille:  I will readily do makeup for any Cancer Survivor, Chemotherapy Patient, someone living with HIV, or any tragedy/illness survivor for free! I had the chance to work with so many people with cancer, HIV, and tragedy survivors. They are truly the most inspiring people you will ever meet. They are raw and honest. They may only feel good in that moment while they are getting their makeup done, and that feeling should be FREE!

Nineveh:
 You are an amazing person and makeup artist, Camille! How else do you give back to make the world a beautiful place?

Camille:  I give back by giving away. I always think of some of the people I have mentioned in these questions -- the things they gave me -- not just makeup. When I had nothing, they gave me advice and taught me things that helped me became an artist, and they were kind to me! I try to give that back to everybody.

Nineveh: What else should the world know about you?

Camille:
The girls I worked with at MAC used to say I was the Oprah of the MAC counter, I believe that everybody has a story tell. I Love making true connections with people!

I like that – the Oprah of the MAC Counter. Watch this video, and you’ll see what her co-workers meant.



1 comment:

  1. I love Camille Megan! This was an excellent interview :)
    She really is such an amazingly nice person, I don't think you can fake that personality. I can definitely credit her to one of maybe 3 or 4 professionals who inspired me to pursue my career in makeup <3

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Beautiful Message Here: