. Nineveh Makeup Ministries: Professional Makeup Artist & Owner of Mason & Mia Cosmetics, Elizabeth Forero Schoonmaker Gives Back!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Professional Makeup Artist & Owner of Mason & Mia Cosmetics, Elizabeth Forero Schoonmaker Gives Back!


Elizabeth Forero-Schoonmaker
If you have ever thought of taking your passion for cosmetics and your talent for makeup artistry to the next level by starting your own cosmetics line and by giving to those in need, you will no doubt be inspired by Momprenieur and Professional Makeup Artist, Elizabeth Forero Schoonmaker of Long Island, New York.

Nineveh: Elizabeth, tell me about the populations that you serve through BITNOL, Beauty in the Name of Love, which you founded in 2008 in Long Island, NY.

Elizabeth:  I want BITNOL to be first and foremost, for anyone. It is for the elderly in nursing homes, for the sick in hospitals, for the battered and bruised at women's shelters, for people who are simply suffering with an ailment - I don't discriminate.

I have mainly served at the nursing home my mother lived in for the last 8 years of her life. I do plan on making visits to Schneider’s Children's Hospital, local women's shelters - anywhere I can spread a little love and make others feel loved and uplifted as well as beautiful and radiant - both inside and out.

Nineveh: That is beautiful Elizabeth. And, what do you offer these women?

Elizabeth:  I offer my time. For some reason, people just don't have TIME these days. I say, if you love someone or something, you make time to do it!

I spend my free time with people who may need a little smile to cheer them up, a little makeup to spruce them up, and a little kindness to warm their hearts.  I bring myself to whatever it is they would like to do . Sometimes it's not about putting on makeup, it's about listening and being a friend.

It's absolutely flabbergasting to me how people shy away from their family members that gets sick and who end up in a hospital, rehabilitation center or a nursing home. They treat them as if they don’t exist.

I have seen so much sadness in the eyes of people in this situation - to know that their family has just disregarded them and put them in the hands of doctors and nurses. You need to have compassion, and know that they are suffering with a broken heart not to get a single visitor. It breaks my heart at just the very thought of it.

Nineveh: That is truly heartbreaking. It is so wonderful that you are out there caring for the “forgotten,” Elizabeth, and I hope others are encouraged and inspired by your lead and decide to volunteer with these populations as well.   When you are caring for the elderly and they request your help in putting on makeup, what special considerations to you have to make in terms of product choices?

Elizabeth: I bring my cosmetic case that I have made strictly organic to suit the elderly and children, being that their skin can be extremely sensitive. I usually devote an hour or two or three with a group of ladies from the home and meet with each of and every one of them privately.

Some of them can't make their way out of their rooms, so I simply go visit with them. I have separate cases when I do these makeovers. I cater to everyone's individual needs, because you never know how someone's skin can react.  I use everything from my private collection to my own line (Mason & Mia Cosmetics) that includes a hypo-allergenic organic line.

Nineveh: In addition to your own makeup line and your work with the elderly and other women in need, has your career as a makeup artist and your role as the owner of your own cosmetics line ever presented you with a Hollywood moment? Have you ever worked on a movie, for example?

Elizabeth: You know I would love to say that I have mingled with the best of the best of them, but that’s not my reality.
Elizabeth's Makeup Line: Mason and Mia Cosmetics

Truth is, I am a Proud Mama of 4 and a devoted wife to my husband of almost 9 years.  I am an artist of all mediums. I work for myself. I own my own cosmetics line , MMC NY which is honor of my children ( m4 ) , I would also love to share my artwork with your readers. They can visit http://www.studio33ny.com  to check it out.

So, basically, I am a Mom, and I love it. I have left behind my days of schlepping to the city to do the makeup counter thing in Bloomingdales and freelancing.

I had some glam moments where I got to meet some famous celebs , but you know what , I wouldn’t trade my life now for anything in this world. Bottom line with taking control of your life is finding your niche, finding what makes you light up like a Christmas tree.

Chase your DREAMS relentlessly. Just because someone says no to you doesn't mean that it's the end of the road. It means you have to try and work harder to get to where you want to be. I have opened doors that have not even given me the time of day and have opened those doors where you could feel the light of love warm your heart, because I knew my life was going to change one way or the other.

Nineveh: And thinking back to your dream chasing process, what was or is your inspiration to do makeup?

Elizabeth: People . I love people. I love to bring a smile to their faces. It goes beyond the glitz and glamour of it all. When you have someone sitting in your chair, trusting that you are going to transform them, giving them a new look and then, they see what you have done and they look into your eyes, and you know that with a simple stare that they are saying, “Thank you so much.” Sometimes words are not needed. It makes me feel so good knowing that I have brought a little ray of sunshine to someone.

Nineveh: And what was your inspiration to do BITNOL?
 
Elizabeth: My Mother. She passed away 3 years ago almost to this day. Before she passed , she told me not to give up on my dreams - that I could do it. She said, “Lizzie ( that was her nickname for me ), You have too many talents to let them go to waste , utilize your gift of being compassionate with people and do something with it.”
Her words stayed with me, and one morning shortly after she passed, the name came to me and I knew what I had to do.
That’s when I founded: Beauty in the Name of Love™ Project (BITNOL)



Learn more about Elizabeth, the work she is doing to make the world a beautiful place, and her cosmetics line and art:


Follow Elizabeth on Twitter:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Beautiful Message Here: